Energy Efficiency Certificate mandatory in Spain in 2013
As from January 2013 all homes that are sold or rented in Spain will need an energy efficiency certificate. This is a European initiative which will affect millions of homeowners, and comprises a report on the home´s energy efficiency. The College of Technical Architects and Building Engineers of Alicante (COAATA) describes how the certificate will work and explain, for example, that it will not be possible to sell or rent a property unless it has a certificate, which should be paid for by the owner.
These are some of the most frequent questions about energy efficiency certificates for existing homes:
- Has the royal decree regulating the energy efficiency certificates been approved?
◦ At the moment the Decree is expected to be included in the BOE (Official Gazette)1. April 2013.
- Who can issue an energy efficiency certificate?
◦ According to the royal decree “energy efficiency certificates should be issued by qualified professional technicians who are au thorised to undertake building projects and thermal installations for buildings. The property owner may choose the technician of their choice “.
- What is an energy certificate?
◦ It is a report that describes how efficient a home is in terms of energy consumption. It assigns an energy rating to each home on a scale which ranges from “A” (the best) to “G” (the worst).
- Will I be able to sell a home which does not have an energy certificate after 1/01/2013?
◦ No you won´t. You will have to have a certificate before selling your home.
- Who will have to pay for the energy certificate?
◦ The owner of the property to be sold or rented.
- How long is the energy certificate valid for?
◦ The certificate is valid for 10 years. This means owners will not have to obtain a new certificate during this period unless they renovate or change the property in any way.
- If I want to sell my home and it has a poor energy rating, such as D, E or F, am I obliged to make any improvements?
◦ No, you are not obliged to make any improvements even if your property has a low rating.
- Will a low rating affect the sale of my home? Can I sell it without any problems?
◦ You are free to sell your home. The only way it will affect a sale is how the rating influences the buyer.
- How much will the technician who issues the energy certificate charge?
◦ As yet there is no established rate, which will be set by the local market. As a rough guide, the rate in other European Union countries is about €250 + VAT for a 100 m2 home.
- Will the technician need to visit the property (generally homes)?
◦ Yes. They have to visit the property to take measurements and collect information about the property before drawing up and certifying the report.